Root canal treatment is often necessary for a number of dental conditions such as a tooth infection, tooth decay, or injuries such as chipped teeth. Here at Harmony Dental of Burbank, we have treated a number of patients requiring root canal treatment, and typically, no two cases are exactly alike. If you are experiencing tooth pain, we recommend you pay us a visit so we can identify the underlying cause and determine the best course of treatment.
Reasons for Root Canal Treatment
At Harmony Dental of Burbank, we may recommend a root canal if we determine that the pulp inside your tooth is infected or inflamed. This can happen due to tooth decay, untreated cavities, a cracked or chipped tooth, or a facial injury.
While a root canal might seem intimidating, it’s often the best way to eliminate infection, save a tooth, and ease your pain. It helps to have a basic understanding of what a root canal involves, so you know what to expect if you need to have one.
During a root canal procedure, we will remove the damaged or infected part of the tooth. This is typically the pulp and nerve tissue located in the center of the tooth, underneath the tooth’s dentin, which is a calcified material beneath the tooth’s enamel. If the pulp becomes inflamed, infected, or damaged, it can cause significant pain and lead to further infection in the surrounding tissue — which can then cause tooth abscesses, bone loss, and swelling.
Once we remove the pulp and nerve tissue, we clean and disinfect the tooth and seal the opening to prevent further infection. Overall, a root canal is a common and effective procedure for treating and saving a damaged or infected tooth.
Signs You Might Need a Root Canal
Common signs that you might need a root canal include:
- Persistent tooth pain that may radiate to your jaw, face, or other teeth
- Spontaneous or persistent tooth sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Swelling or tenderness in the gums or face near the affected tooth
- A small bump or pimple on the gums near the affected tooth
- Pain when biting down or applying pressure on the tooth
Not all of these symptoms may be present, and only a dentist or endodontist can determine if a root canal is necessary. We advise making an appointment with Harmony Dental of Burbank as soon as possible if you’re experiencing any of these symptoms.
A Brief Overview Of The All-on-Four Implants Procedure
- Before the implants can be installed your dentist will conduct a comprehensive examination of your mouth. This will include taking X-rays, digital 3D scans and a thorough review of your past dental history. Based on the findings, a treatment plan is created to ensure a successful personalized outcome for each patient.
- Measurements are taken to determine the precise placement of the All-on-Four dental implants. This means that the dental plate will fit perfectly and be comfortable and fully functional for the patient.
- The procedure is conducted using oral sedation so you won’t feel any pain. This also avoids the need to use a general anesthetic which can be risky for some patients.
- During the procedure your dentist will remove the damaged gum tissue and any remnants of missing teeth as well as existing teeth that will be replaced by the All-on-Four implant.
- Following the placement of the implants, your dentist will carefully replace the gum tissue around the new plates and safely close all incisions.
- Once the procedure is completed it usually takes about one month for the dental implants to fully integrate with the jawbone. After a period of six months you will be advised to return to your dentist to receive your final prosthesis.
Root Canal Benefits
Root canal therapy has several benefits, including preventing infection from spreading to other teeth, easing the symptoms associated with an infected tooth, reducing the risk of jawbone damage, and eliminating the need for tooth extraction. Additionally, saving your natural tooth through root canal treatment helps maintain your natural smile and allows you to continue eating the foods you love.
With the advanced technology and expertise at Harmony Dental of Burbank, we can assure you that a root canal is not the frightening procedure that some believe it to be. Once we repair the affected tooth, it will function just like any other tooth in your mouth, only without the pain and potential for long-term health consequences of an infected tooth.
If you suspect you might need a root canal, contact Harmony Dental of Burbank to request the soonest appointment. We are committed to providing our patients with the best and most comfortable dental care and will work with you to determine the best course of treatment, ensuring that you are comfortable throughout the process.